Manson Follower Van Houten Denied Parole

CORONA, Calif. (AP)–Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten was denied parole for a 16th time on Wednesday, just over 35 years after the notorious Tate-LaBianca murders.

“She was denied for an additional two years and the board ordered a new psychological evaluation for the next hearing,” said Board of Prison Terms spokesman Bill Sessa.

Two nephews and a niece of Rosemary and Leno LaBianca presented victim impact statements to the board, meeting at the California Institution for Women. Van Houten, 54, also spoke, Sessa said. He gave no details.

None of those convicted in the 1969 slayings in Los Angeles has been released. Last month, the board denied parole for Patricia Krenwinkel, who was convicted along with Manson, Van Houten and Susan Atkins.

The board has repeatedly cited the callousness, viciousness and calculation of the seven murders in denying parole for members of the so-called Manson Family.


Actress Sharon Tate and four others were killed at her estate on Aug. 9, 1969, and the following night, Leno and Rosemary LaBianca were stabbed at their home. Both crime scenes were marked by bloody scrawlings.

Van Houten, then 19, and her co-defendants were sentenced to death, but the sentences were commuted to life when the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed the death penalty in 1972. It has since been reinstated.

We appreciate your support


AFFILIATE LINKS

Our website includes affiliate links, which means we get a small commission — at no additional cost to you — for each qualifying purpose. For instance, as an Amazon Associate Religion News Blog earns from qualifying purchases. That is one reason why we can provide this service free of charge.

Source

(Listed if other than Religion News Blog)
Associated Press, USA
Aug. 25, 2004
www.ajc.com

More About This Subject

This post was last updated: Nov. 30, -0001