A sexual misconduct lawsuit against megachurch founder Bishop Earl Paulk will be heard next year, a DeKalb Superior Court judge said Monday.
Judge Mark Anthony Scott said he hopes to schedule the “monumental” trial for March or April. The trial is expected to last a month.
Mona and Bobby Brewer, former leaders in Paulk’s Chapel Hill Harvester Church, filed suit last year accusing Paulk of using his role as spiritual leader to coerce Mona Brewer into an affair that lasted fourteen years.
An attorney for Paulk has admitted his client had a brief sexual relationship with Mona Brewer but said she was the initiator.
Louis Levenson, attorney for the Brewers, reported to Scott on Monday that he had questioned Paulk in the suit.
Lawyers for Paulk had argued that Paulk was too frail to be deposed. Paulk had major cancer surgery in November 2005. On Aug. 31, Scott ordered that the questioning should go forward.
Scott said he will set a date for a trial at the next hearing in the case Nov. 20.
We appreciate your support
One way in which you can support us — at no additional cost to you — is by shopping at Amazon.com.
Our website includes affiliate links, which means we get a small commission — at no additional cost to you — for each qualifying purpose. For instance, as an Amazon Associate Religion News Blog earns from qualifying purchases. That is one reason why we can provide this service free of charge.