AMSTERDAM — A national campaign to inform the public about the government’s drive against terrorism begins in the Netherlands on 27 February.
Home Affairs Minister Johan Remkes told parliament on Thursday that every household will receive a leaflet and adverts will be run on television, radio and in newspapers. The purpose of the campaign is to explain what the government is doing, and what the public can do to help.
The government is working on the campaign with the four major cities: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and The Hague. Dutch rail company NS, Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport and the police are also involved.
Ad: Vacation? City Trip? Weekend Break? Book Skip-the-line tickets
Smaller local authorities and companies will also take part at a later stage, Remkes said. The preparations for the campaign took three quarters of the year.
The government was initially opposed to the idea of a national campaign because an opinion poll found only 34 percent of the public wanted one.
Ministers changed their collective mind last August when a second poll found 41 percent wanted information from the government about terrorism.
Also on Thursday, Justice Minister Piet Hein Donner announced access from the Netherlands to two Satellite television stations had been blocked. Donner said ‘al Manar’ from Lebanon and Iranian broadcaster ‘Sahar TVI’ were guilty of preaching extremism and anti-Semitism. Two other stations are also under review, he said.
Expatica is the #1 English-language news & information source for expatriates living in, working in or moving to the Netherlands (Holland)