The police issued arrest warrants for the leaders, and success is yet to be registered.
“The international arrest warrant is still on. Investigations were concluded but no arrests have been made so far,” a police source said yesterday.
It was on March 17, 2000 that over 1,000 people were burnt beyond recognition in three different sites. The cult was called Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God and was led by Joseph Kibwetere, Credonia Mwerinde, Angelina Mugisha, Fr Joseph Kasapurari and Fr Dominic Kataribabo.
The source said there had been some leads to arrest the perpetuator, which could not be revealed for fear of jeapordising the investigations.
In Kanungu, there was no activity planned for the Kanungu anniversary. “We have not organised anything, there is no need to,” the mayor for Kanungu, Mr Godfrey Karabenda, said in an interview recently.
He said the district could not organise anything because the government had not yet handed over the land to the district authorities.