Skip to main content.
A non-profit service providing academics, religion professionals and other researchers with religion & cult news
ReligionNewsBlog

Religion news articles about religious cults, sects, world religions, and related issues

Home | About RNB Related: Cult FAQ | Cult Experts | Apologetics Index | Cult Information Search Engine
More articles about: Ruben Ecleo:

Cult member charged

The Sun Star, Philippines
Oct. 20, 2004
Karlon N. Rama & Mia E. Abellana
www.sunstar.com.ph

ReligionNewsBlog.com • Tuesday October 19, 2004

Task Force Arbet and a team of 16 lawyers from the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) filed yesterday afternoon a murder case against Michel Favila Sr. and a companion for the death of lawyer Arbet Sta. Ana-Yongco.

Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Rolan-do Garcia said the lawyers reviewed the documents and evidence before the complaint was filed with the Office of the Cebu City Prosecutor.

The second individual has yet to be identified.

The task force has six witnesses. Garcia clarified that they did not include the two witnesses previously placed under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7.

The two witnesses recanted their statements Monday night.

But Favila of Barangay Talaga, Cagayancillo, Palawan insists he didnt kill Yongco, who was shot four times in the cheek and neck in her office last Oct. 11.

Task Force Arbet attached the affidavits of six witnesses in the charge sheet that City Prosecutor Cezar Tajanlangit will raffle for preliminary investigation this morning.

One of the witnesses, a 42-year-old truck driver, said he was a friend of Favila. Police earlier arrested him and the alleged gunman for illegal possession of firearms in Bacayan, Cebu City. The task forces complaint came a day after two other witnesses recanted an earlier statement, given before the NBI 7, identifying another individual, not Favila, as Yongcos gunman.

In an interview, Tajanlangit said the complaint against Favila will be subjected to preliminary investigation and that it will proceed regardless of whether another gunman is identified.

There is only one complaint. We will act on that. If the NBI files a complaint against their own suspect, then we will evaluate it, Tajanlangit said.

Lawyer Filemon Yongco, Arbets husband, executed an affidavit detailing how he and his utility worker were the first to see Arbet bathed in her own blood after the shooting.

Arbets student

The utility worker (name withheld upon agreement with the Public Information Office) also executed an affidavit on how he saw the gunman, whom he identified from police photos as Favila, while attempting to flee the crime scene on a red motorcycle somebody else was driving.

The task force also attached the affidavit of another witness, a 10-year-old girl, who picked out Favilas photo from a bunch of others shown to her for confirmation.

She was Yongcos pupil in Bible school and lived near Yongcos house on Alcohol and Sikatuna Sts., Cebu City.

The girl said she saw the gunman as he, while taking out a firearm tucked in his waistband, entered Yongcos office in the house.

She subsequently heard four muffled gunshots and then saw the gunman, still holding his weapon, walking outside the Yongcos residence.

Bathed in blood

The gunman later tucked the firearm in his waistband and walked towards a parked motorcycle.

Out of curiosity, I went to Atty. Yongcos office, which was already half-open and, from my location, I peeped and saw a body of a woman, with long straight hair, lying on the floor bathed in her own blood, she said.

Another witness, a 32-year-old electrician, also executed an affidavit detailing how he, while passing by the Yongco residence in Barangay Zapatera on his way to work, heard four muffled sounds.

He then saw a man, carrying a firearm, leaving the house and boarding a parked red motorcycle.

A 31-year-old neighbor also narrated how he saw the same man using a cell phone prior to the shooting at 8:45 a.m. last Oct. 11.

Suspect

NBI 4 Director Onos Mangutara told Sun.Star yesterday that Favila arrived in their office at 2 p.m. last Monday to clear his name.

Favila reportedly learned from ministers of the Philippine Benevolent Missionaries Association (PBMA) that he was being tagged as a suspect in the Yongco murder.

Mangutara said they offered to keep Favila in their office until investigators from Cebu arrive, for his safety. But Favila said he has to go back to Roxas, Palawan to take care of some things.

He will be back in Puerto Princesa City today.

Favila reportedly said he will stay in Puerto Princesa for five days and leave if no one comes to investigate him.

He was very willing. In fact, he traveled two days by pumpboat from Cagayancillo Island just to be here, Mangutara said.

Records

Favila told Mangutara that for the last five years, he has been in Palawan Province and has not been to Cebu.

This is contrary to police records that show he was arrested in Cebu City in July last year for illegal possession of firearms. The case was dismissed and he was released.

Manugtara said Favila was a short man, between 40 and 45 years old, with short hair and a beard.

The description matches the photo police have on Favila.

PRO 7 Director Garcia said, though, that Favilas appearance at the NBI 4 will not affect their case.

They are not even sure if it was Favila who appeared at the NBI office in Puerto Princesa.

Garcia said they considered the case solved until new evidence comes up.

info Original content is © Copyright Religion News Blog. All rights reserved.
    Do not republish or repost. Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

share this article Share this article

tag Related Articles

arrow
arrow Topic(s): Ruben Ecleo

Comment Comment

Join Religion News Blog at Google+ to comment, share, and follow.

RSS Feed Follow Us


 Follow

Religion News You May Like This As Well

Why are you not using Nozbe?

Don't you need to get things done?

Religion News Search Search Religion News Blog