Skip to main content.
A non-profit service providing academics, religion professionals and other researchers with religion & cult news
ReligionNewsBlog

Religion news articles about religious cults, sects, world religions, and related issues

Home | About RNB Related: Cult FAQ | Cult Experts | Apologetics Index | Cult Information Search Engine
More articles about: Order of Saint Charbel:

Cult leader denies sex with teens

AAP, Australia
Aug. 7, 2004
Peter Shadbolt
www.news.com.au

ReligionNewsBlog.com • Friday August 6, 2004

Self-styled seer and cult leader William Kamm appeared in a NSW court yesterday on charges he sexually assaulted two teenage followers allegedly selected to be among 12 so-called “queens” who would bear him children.

The 54-year-old founder of the Order of Saint Charbel doomsday cult, who goes by the name of Little Pebble, has pleaded not guilty to nine counts of sexual abuse.

Mr Kamm remained silent during his brief appearance at Wollongong District Court as his legal counsel sought permission to transfer the matter to Sydney.

The Crown raised no objections to having the highly publicised case tried before the NSW District Court. Judge Joe Phelan also consented.

The matter has been relisted to appear before the NSW District Court on August 12, when a trial date will be set.

Mr Kamm, who remains on bail, was arrested in August 2002.

The charges against him were brought by two former followers, now both in their 20s, who allege they became Mr Kamm’s “queens” when they were aged 14 and 15 at his compound in Cambewarra, near Nowra on the NSW south coast.

In a statement previously tendered to the court, one of the girls said Mr Kamm “told me in letters that I was his spiritual wife and could not be with any other man”.

The girl subsequently fell pregnant to Mr Kamm.

Mr Kamm, who was born in Cologne, Germany, in 1950, has reportedly worked variously as a debt collector, farm worker and bank employee.

He claims to have had his first divine vision when he was 18 and established the Order of St Charbel on a 10ha site in 1985.

Since then the order has grown to a community of about 200 adults and children.

The Vatican outlawed the so-called Catholic order two years ago.

info Original content is © Copyright Religion News Blog. All rights reserved.
    Do not republish or repost. Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

share this article Share this article

tag Related Articles

arrow

Comment Comment

Join Religion News Blog at Google+ to comment, share, and follow.

RSS Feed Follow Us


 Follow

Religion News You May Like This As Well

Religion News Search Search Religion News Blog