Calvert wants to say sorry

Premier Lorne Calvert would like to offer an apology to Richard Klassen and his family, but says he can’t while the matter is still before the courts.

During a conference call Friday, Calvert said since the province has appealed the malicious prosecution lawsuit, he is not prepared to apologize during that process.

“It would be inappropriate for myself as premier to intervene in that legal process,” said Calvert.

But at the end of the legal process, if the initial finding is upheld, “I would want to be the first to make an apology, but that, at this moment, is not an option that is available to me,” said Calvert.

Klassen and 11 others won the judgment last month against Saskatoon police Supt. Brian Dueck, Crown prosecutor Matthew Miazga and therapist Carol Bunko-Ruys, who were involved in falsely prosecuting them for sexually abusing three Saskatoon-area foster children in the early 1990s.

The province has begun the process to appeal the Dec. 30, 2003 verdict, prompting protests from the plaintiffs, who believed they had an agreement that would forestall an appeal until after damages were determined.

Comments are closed.