An Oxford man faces sentencing next month after being convicted last week of luring boys into satanic sexual encounters, according to a report.
Robert Basat, 50, was found guilty in Oakland County Circuit Court of five counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, one count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and child sexually abusive material.
The man apparently lured the boys in by claiming he would die without their help, according to The Oakland Press.
The jury deliberated for less than two hours before reaching a decision, Assistant Prosecutor Cheryl Matthews told the paper. The family of some of his victims cheered after Basat was led from the courtroom by deputies.
“There are nine separate victims we know of, and he was working on a 10th,” Matthews said after the verdict. “The facts were so unbelievable and disgusting you would have believed it was a made-for-TV movie.”
Basat told the courtroom that the sexual assaults never happened, WDIV-TV reported. During the weeklong trial, Basat’s mostly male victims testified he told them he needed them to perform certain sexual acts with a young boy or he would die, the paper reported.
Basat reportedly claimed he would die unless he had the semen of young boys. Four boys and one girl testified as to how they were sexually assaulted.
Jurors were also shown a small sample of the more than 100 “kiddie porn” images that deputies testified were taken from Basat’s three computers, according to the paper.
Matthews alleged that Basat had been sexually assaulting young boys between the age of 9 and 12 since the 1980s, the paper reported. As his victims reached adolescence, he discarded them and went for younger ones, she said.
Basat was believed to have befriended the parents of his victims to gain their confidence. In each instance, the victims had no father or strong male figures in their life, the paper reported.
Basat is to be sentenced Oct. 17 by Judge Rudy Nichols. He could face life in prison.