With his detention order already pending before a federal appellate court, he asked a federal judge in Cleveland to reconsider the original order holding him until trial because he says he now has enough money to post a “significant” bond to guarantee his appearance.
Mr. Mullet, 66, under indictment with 15 followers on charges of orchestrating a series of beard-cutting attacks in Ohio last year, said in a court papers Monday that he recently received proceeds from an oil and gas lease on his 800-acre farm in Bergholz, outside Steubenville, Ohio. […]
The judge has twice ruled that Mr. Mullet will remain behind bars until he goes on trial, siding with the Justice Department that he is a danger to society.
The FBI has said Mr. Mullet has complete control over his community, which is comprised almost entirely of his relatives and their families.
(Article continues below this ad)
Taking a break?
Mr. Bryan’s appeal is pending before the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
More about the Bergholz Clan
Read the indictment of Mullet and his followers
This report report details the reasons behind the beard- and hair cutting attacks, and also addresses alleged abuses within Samuel Mullet’s so-called Bergholz Clan.