Muslim TV exec gets 25 years to life for wife’s beheading

[Ad] Planning a vacation or trip? Book activities and Skip-The-Line tickets here.

Former television executive Muzzammil “Mo” Hassan was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison Wednesday for the beheading death of his wife.

Hassan was convicted of second-degree murder last month.

In imposing the sentence, Erie County, New York Judge Thomas Franczyk also issued a protection order on behalf of Hassan’s two children who, according to the Judge, want nothing more to do with their father.

CNN writes:

The sentence was the maximum amount Franczyk could impose under state law, said Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita. He said the sentence was “a perfectly appropriate sentence under the circumstances and considering the violent nature of the crime and a lack of genuine remorse by the defendant.”

The sentence basically means life, he said — Hassan will not be “eligible to talk to the parole board” for 25 years. “The chances of him getting out before his sentence is completed is not going to happen,” Sedita said. […]


According to prosecutors, Aasiya Hassan had filed for divorce less than a week before she died. […]

During the trial, Michael and Sonia Hassan testified that their father had become violent in the past, CNN affiliate WIVB in Buffalo reported.
While both said the couple argued, neither recalled a case in which Aasiya — their stepmother — instigated a fight.

Police earlier said they had responded to several domestic violence calls at the couple’s home, but no one had ever been arrested.

In 2004 Hassan launched Bridges TV, billed as the first English-language cable channel targeting Muslims inside the United States. At the time Hassan said he hoped the network would balance negative portrayals of Muslims following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Possibly Related Products

Source

(Listed if other than Religion News Blog)

More About This Subject

This post was last updated: Nov. 21, 2013