ReligionNewsBlog.com (Opinion) — The savages who operate the Westboro Baptist Church — a hate group masquerading as a Christian church — have announced on their website that they intent to picket the funerals of people killed in last Wednesday’s plane crash at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.
A flyer posted by the hypocrites — known best for their despicable behavior in picketing the funerals of people they have condemned to hell — says “WBC will picket funerals of Dutch killed at Amsterdam plane crash.”
The Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-800 crashed just short of the runway, killing 9 of the 135 people on board. Five Turks and four Americans died.
Last week Britain banned cult leaders Fred Phelps and his daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper from entering England, where the hate group planned to protest the performance of a play called The Laramie Project, which recounts the death of gay university student Matthew Shepard who was murdered in Laramie, Wyoming, in October 1998.
What you should know about the Westboro Baptist Church
- The Westboro Baptist Church is a hate group masquerading as a Christian church.
- Led by Fred Phelps, members of this ‘church’ — who have deluded themselves into thinking that they are followers of Jesus Christ — target homosexuals and others with messages of hate.
- The Westboro cult is largely known for its despicable practice of picketing funerals.
- Any group of people can call itself a ‘Baptist church’ even if, as is the case with this hate group, the vast majority of Baptists reject that group’s claims.
- Theologically, the hate group’s extremist views and despicable behavior mark it as a cult of Christianity
- Sociologically the group has cult-like elements as well.
Research resources on the Westboro Baptist Church
How various religions and denominations view homosexuality
More articles about the Westboro Baptist Church
Note: For obvious reasons we often file articles about this hate group under the heading of ‘Religious Insanity.’
Religion News Blog is published in Amsterdam, Netherlands