Kenya Broadcasting Corporation, Feb. 8, 2003
By Kemei Kimeli
Two suspected members of the outlawed Mungiki sect terror gang have been shot dead within Nairobi’s Dandora estate.
The suspects were killed after a gang engaged police in a shoot-out at 8.00 pm in the estate that was rocked by violence three days ago that left at least two policemen hacked to death and three gang members killed.
Nairobi police chief Stephen Kimenchu said police also recovered two gangs from the suspects as others scattered into the darkness.
He said police believe the two were part of the terror gang, which on Wednesday terrorized residents.
So far, 160 people have been arrested over the attack, among them six prominent businessmen suspected to have sponsored the thugs.
The killing of the two suspects brings to eight the number of people killed since the midweek attack.
Mr. Kimenchu vowed the police will not rest until the gang stopped their terror activities.
The violence erupted after one of the groups fighting for the control of the lucrative Dandora matatu (passenger service) route sought to forestall a rival group, called the Kamjesh from taking over.
The government has since banned all the groups from the route and ordered police to shoot those resisting the ban.