Jason Beghe Scientology video removed from YouTube

Apr. 22, 2008: Watch the full interview


A video interview showing American TV actor Jason Beghe criticising Scientology has been removed from YouTube, writes Veronica Schmidt.

The 48-year-old was the first celebrity to speak out against the religion, telling how his 12 years with the church damaged him and accusing Scientology of being “destructive” and a “rip-off”.

Actor Jason Beghe is the first celebrity Scientologist to sit down and publicly talk about his experiences after leaving the group. The full interview will be out soon. Provided by XenuTV.com

After Beghe’s criticism of the church made headlines yesterday, YouTube suspended the account of the prolific Scientology critic who posted the video, making the clip unavailable to viewers.

But the suspension has angered YouTube users who have thrown their weight behind Mark Bunker, who uses the name XenuTV1 on the site.


By this morning, 45 YouTube members had used their sign-ons to re-post Bunker’s interview with the Cane and CSI actor.

In the clip, Benghe said: “My experience personally, and what I’ve observed for myself, is that Scientology is destructive and a rip-off.”

L. Ron Hubbard: Charlatan
Hubbard, the man who created Scientology in 1952, has an unusual CV for a religious and spiritual leader. As well as being a writer, he was a congenital liar: quite simply a “charlatan”. That was the view of a High Court judge in 1984, who said Hubbard’s theories were “corrupt, sinister and dangerous”.
Tom Cruise’s Church of hate tried to destroy me

Comments & resources by ReligionNewsBlog.com

“It’s very, very dangerous for your spiritual, psychological and mental, emotional health and evolution. I think it stunts your evolution.”

The church insists it brings its members “spiritual enlightenment” and it has helped the world progress towards “the eradication of its ills”, including drugs, crime, violence and intolerance.

One YouTube user, Vongoloid, uploaded the video with the message: “Actor Jason Beghe exposes… Scientology to Mark Bunker of Xenu TV. YouTube suspended Mark’s account, XenuTV1, so I am putting this up for justice.”

Another, Skeptic12345, simply said: “Rehosting while Mark Bunker’s YouTube is down”.

Angry viewers posted comments below the re-hosted clips.

“Unsuspend his f***ing account, YouTube,” wrote one.

“Banning free speech is a major no no. Knock it off.”

A spokesperson for YouTube told Times Online: “YouTube takes these issues very seriously but we don’t comment on individual videos. Our general approach is simple: we have clear content policies about what videos are allowed on the site. For example we prohibit clips that infringe copyright or show extreme violence. Videos that breach these rules are removed and we disable all accounts belonging to repeat offenders.”

It is not the first time YouTube and Scientology critics have clashed. After a video of Hollywood actor Tom Cruise speaking about Scientology was leaked to YouTube last year, the church raised copyright issues and the site removed the clip, angering its users.

Source

(Listed if other than Religion News Blog)
The Times, UK
Apr. 18, 2008
Veronica Schmidt
entertainment.timesonline.co.uk

More About This Subject

Topics:
This post was last updated: Nov. 8, 2013