Illaware Mercury (Australia), Nov. 22, 2002
By LISA CARTY
South Coast cult leader William “Little Pebble” Kamm has been ordered to clean up his compound after a council inspection.
Three Shoalhaven City Council staff made a prearranged tour of Kamm’s Cambewarra property yesterday after receiving complaints about alleged unapproved and shoddy building works.
An anonymous letter sent to the council, of which a copy was obtained by the Mercury, listed myriad alleged building code breaches.
Claiming to have first-hand information, the letter writer complained about dangerous electrical and plumbing work, buildings without adequate ventilation and fire protection, and seepage into a concrete “bunker” under a white shed.
Trees had been illegally removed to make way for a shipping container to be buried behind the residence of the Little Pebble, it claimed.
Kamm’s 15ha estate, from where he oversees the Order of St Charbel, is home to many residences, including mobile homes, which are occupied by his supporters.
A primary school attended by 40 students, and funded by the State and Federal governments, sits near the compound’s main entrance.
Council general manager Graham Napper said the officers had detected “non-compliance” issues but refused to give details, or say whether they involved safety.
The issues had been discussed with the property owner, who had agreed to rectify them.
No time frame had been set down.
Mr Napper said he was confident the issues would be resolved.
Council staff would revisit the property to ensure the agreed work had been done.
“Our officers are as a matter of course checking the files to make sure development on the property complies with previous building approvals,” Mr Napper said.
“As with all other properties in our council area, we do all we can to ensure developments comply with our building codes.
“Council certainly favours a cooperative approach with all ratepayers to ensure the best outcome for everyone.”
The Kamm camp refused to comment yesterday on the council inspection.
Little Pebble, formerly of Towradgi, is before the courts on nine sex charges.
He will face Nowra Local Court again on December 17 after he was charged in August.
The alleged victims were aged 14 and 15.
He has pleaded not guilty.